DIY Cupcake Stand

When it came time for my niece's baby shower, I volunteered to put together a cupcake stand because I've been itching to spray paint a new project.
Thanks to the lovely ladies throughout blog land, I gained immense inspiration for a creation.
What is a thrifty gal to do?
Head straight to my local Goodwill store in search of a little junk to transform into a treasure!
Because we all know it doesn't have to cost a pretty penny to shine like one.
3 mismatched plates with 3 candle holders; add spray paint, a bit of glue (I used E6000) and you have....
A beautiful centerpiece display, that looks like it came straight from a magazine photo shoot; if I do say so myself.
The day before ~ cause life's been crazy busy...
I primed all the plates to cover up the design on the small dessert dish.
One glass platter, a glass cake plate and a dessert plate.
A beautiful baby girl is on her way into our family, so pink it is!
Although this would be stunning in all glass for any celebration or holiday table.
And if it gets too late and chilly outdoors, just spray paint on the kitchen island.
NOT highly recommended! 
Thankfully there are no pink disasters to report.
Hey, it's how to get it done, one way or another during the 11th hour!
Not too shabby for $6, a bit of spray paint and lost sleep.
I had fun putting it together and....
It made these two happy.
My sister and my beautiful niece, the expectant mommy.
Miss Olivia is due in December and she is going to have TONS to wear!
I will be linking in to a few DIY blog parties, for a complete list of weekly fun; check out my link at the top of the page.
The DIY Show Off
What project have you been working on lately?

26 comments:

  1. Your cakestand looks fabulous. I love that you spray painted it pink. Such a great idea. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Sherri! I never would have thought you could spray paint the dishes. What did you prime them with?

    Your sister and niece look so happy. I'm glad the shower was a success!

    Happy Saturday!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, Sherri! I never would have thought you could spray paint the dishes. What did you prime them with?

    Your sister and niece look so happy. I'm glad the shower was a success!

    Happy Saturday!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri, I "ADORE" what you made! Great idea...and I'm all about putting your personal touch on events like this! It makes it so much more special! Happy PINK Saturday~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janie ~ I primed them with cheap white spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! Thank you! I'm stopping by from I heart nap time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw your project on Skip to My Lou and had to come see. So pretty! I'll definitely keep this idea in my 'to do' file~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cupcake stand is so sweet. I never thought about PAINTING the plates!!



    http://rachaelsblossoms.blogspot.com/2010/03/glass-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly adorable and oh so sweet!! Love it!! I'm so excited to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! Be sure to link up your sweet creations at my weekly link party, every Friday! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute is this. If you need new recipes come on over to our site and check us out. We d love for you to become a follower and be entered in this weeks giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your cupcake stand! I found you via Todays Creative Blog link party! I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll come over and visit SewWoodsy.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice. I've stupidly been trying to match plates to plates. Where did you find food safe spray paint?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm since we were using cupcakes that are in liners I didn't think the paint would be an issue. I wouldn't suggest using it for other foods. Since I am not sure about paint safety! I really want to do a plain glass one with all clear glass platters, plates. As soon as I find them in the correct sizes at the thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, love this! I have been debating the ugly wire Wilton cupcake stand for years and just don't like the look of it. I saw someone used on another blog (for a different craft) hot glue to secure two pieces of glass. Not permanent so you can dismantle the stand after each use for storage. If concerned about the spray paint, a lovely white paper doily (sp?)would look pretty on the pink. Thanks for the great idea!
    Stephanie
    http://fullofgreatideas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO pretty! Looks like you just picked it up from the store! Also love how you hung all the little clothes on clothespins at the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! I love that it's pink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Genius, I love it!!

    Kisses from the WhipperChicks

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks adorable. I have done this idea, for a sort of make shift cake plate, but painting all the plates, and really makes it more uniform and pretty, and you can re use it. Very nice for the shower, well done. tami from the high street cottage

    ReplyDelete
  19. Visiting via the DIY ShowOff = gorgeous - as is your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are very nice. I think I will try it.
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ive stacked them before but not painted the plates!
    Thanks for the inspiration...
    Love your blog!
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! Too cute! Make me want to eat a cupcake though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute! Hmmm...I love cupcakes!!I loved that you turned them into pink. I was trying to make one like that years ago but didn't think about painting them. I'll give it a try. I've done DIY projects and posted on www.makemania.com Take a look at mine and feel free to promote cool projects from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great project. The pink makes it a stunner! The perfect addition to the table. Thanks for linking to tickled pink!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing the nice Stand design. I really like your design.
    Thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to read my blog! I appreciate and read every comment. LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE! ~Sherri~

Related Posts with Thumbnails