Here is another thrifty homemade Christmas gift idea - tile coaster sets.
I actually made these last year for family and friends. I still have supplies on hand to make a few more sets for this year.
What do you need?
- A box of tumbled tiles. (These are sold at Home Depot and Lowes) Mine are the more rustic looking tiles, some have a shiny slick top. I prefer these.
- StazOn ink pad (I used Black and Timber Brown). I prefer StazOn because it is a permanent ink. **I purchased mine at Hobby Lobby on 50% off.
- Stamps - I have a decent selection from my scrapbooking days. However, Hobby Lobby puts them on 50% off sales pretty often.
- Clear Acrylic Sealer - Mine is by Plaid and the Gloss (which didn't really turn out glossy looking).
- Felt or thin cork (you can purchase thin cork in a roll at a craft store like Hobby Lobby)
- Glue (to glue on cork bottoms. I think I used E-6000 found in a tube)
Select your stamp(s) and stamp 4 tiles to 'match' or mix/match for your set.
Let the ink dry. I let mine cure overnight. But you wait at least 30 minutes to an hour.
Spray each stamped tile with the clear acrylic sealer and let dry.
Again, I let them cure overnight; because I did each step after a work day. You can 'test' to see if it is still sticky to touch. TRUST ME, you want these completely DRY before you stack them!
After the coasters are dry you will want to add either felt or thin cork to the bottom. I prefer cork, although the picture below has felt on them.
This shows the bottom. It is a solid piece of felt (though I DO prefer cork). The 'lines' are just my raffia ribbon tied around the coaster set once finished.
Set of 4 pretty tile coasters homemade!
Your family and friends will be impressed and they are a usable gift.
I will be linking this in to several upcoming Christmas Gift idea blog parties!